Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Google is testing a “products gaining attention” carousel in search. Google Business Profiles lets you copy menus, sometimes. Google’s John Mueller no longer recommends you set up verified profiles in Search Console for all domain variations. Google Ads extended its government documents policy to a later date. Microsoft Bing is testing an “official site” label on titles in search results. And I posted the weekly SEO video recap – a lot in this one.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Search News Buzz Video Recap: Google Core Update Done, Bing Chat To Share Ad Revenue, Search Console, Ad Badges & Much More
Google finished rolling out the March 2023 broad core update on Tuesday, and it took about 13 days to roll out. Microsoft said they are exploring sharing ad revenue from Bing Chat with publishers through the Microsoft Start program. Microsoft executives…
- Google Search Tests Products Gaining Attention Carousel
Google Search seems to be testing a new product carousel titles “products gaining attention.” I assume this carousel shows products that are being viewed or clicked on more often than they were previously, but I am not sure.
- Google Business Profiles Let’s You Copy A Menu
Google Business Profiles seems to allow some restaurants to copy a menu that it thinks it pulled for that restaurant from another source and use that copied menu to start to build your own menu in Google Business Profiles.
- Here Is Why John Mueller No Longer Recommends Verifying All Google Search Console Property Types
Google’s John Mueller is no longer recommending you verify all the variations of your domain with Google Search Console. Instead, he said, keep it simple and verify using domain verification.
- Google Ads Pushes Government Documents and Official Services Policy To May 24, 2023
Google has extended the Google Ads Government documents and official services policy for several weeks, from March 31, 2023, to May 24, 2023. This was previously announced in late January, and we covered it, but now Google made two changes to that announcement.
- Bing Tests Official Site Label
Microsoft Bing is testing adding an “official site” label in the search results. If you search for a specific site, you may find that Bing adds to the title of the search result snippet the words “Official Site.”
- Google Sphere At New GooglePlex
Here is a photo from the GooglePlex, or new Google offices near the GooglePlex in Mountain View, California. You can see this huge sphere object or monument that is being put up at the office.
Other Great Search Threads:
- Since this is a theoretical question, I’ll go with “it depends”. Thinking “offline”, how would you open a new business? Would you try not to tell anyone too?, John Mueller on Twitter
- The March 2023 Core Update finished its release yesterday 👇👀 https://t.co/WC11ngfCkp – What was the outcome for your sites?, Aleyda Solis on Twitter
- “Pause Giant AI Experiments: An Open Letter”, WebmasterWorld
- If your content isn’t being indexed normally, that’s usually a sign of an issue on your side, and trying to tape over it with Inspect URL doesn’t help. Sometimes it’s a technical thing, som, John Mueller on Twitter
- I’m not sure what you’re asking. If your website is low quality, perhaps just rehashing other people’s content, then my personal recommendation would be to either take it down or make it high, John Mueller on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, you can follow us on Facebook and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fashion way.